By Patricia L. Garcia
When I was a kid, I was obsessed with my teeth. I wanted to brush my teeth all the time — it helped that my toothpaste had glitter in it and when you pushed it out of the tube, it was shaped like a star.
That obsession hasn’t left me, though, sadly, there are no adult toothpastes that inspire the same kind of glittery excitement. These days I tend to be more excited by “advanced” toothbrushes: at first there were those with the tongue scrapers on the back, then there were the spin brushes and electric brushes. Now we have smart toothbrushes.
Yes, the toothbrush has joined the Internet of Things with Oral-B’s SmartSeries Bluetooth Smart Toothbrush ($160; available in the United States this fall) and I couldn’t be happier about it. I am not the type of person who spends a quick minute brushing their teeth. Oh, no, I’ve been accused of exceeding brushing time (the recommended brushing time is at least two minutes — for me, that’s the amount of time each section of the mouth should take, for a grand total of at least six minutes, plus extra time for the tongue, gums and cheeks). Just so that we all get it right, Oral-B’s SmartSeries toothbrush can help.
Simply connect the toothbrush to your smartphone and launch the Oral-B app and it’s like you’ve got a dentist in the bathroom with you, advising you on your brushing habits:
- Every 30 seconds, the app will prompt you to move to another part of your mouth;
- If you’re brushing too hard, the app will let you know to take it easy;
- You can take the app in to your dentist to program your dental needs: Need to dedicate more time, say, to your front teeth? You can program the app to give you more brushing time before it alerts you to move on;
- Don’t forget the floss, because the app will prompt you to floss once you’re done brushing; and
- If you’re not ready for smart tech to invade your mouth, you can still download the app to use a manual timer.
While this gadget won’t exactly make your home a better place to live, it will make you happier. And, with your chompers being at their healthiest (and likely brightest!), you won’t want to hide your smile when guests compliment you on your new home. Happy brushing!