Asking builders the 15 questions below will help
you choose the right
builder to create your new home and give you confidence in your
Because building your home will be one of the largest
investments that you make, it’s natural that you want to find the right fit for
your project. When panelists of the New Home Source Insights Panel were
asked about some of the questions they asked their builders before, during and
after shopping for their new home, most replied that they wanted to learn more
about the building process.
According to the panel survey, most panelists wanted
to have an outlined, step-by-step guide of the build process. They also wanted
promises and guarantees in writing of important things, such as total cost and
timeline. Other questions that a majority of the respondents indicated they
would ask were related to building materials, procedure to fix errors and
previous projects or references.
These questions will also help you better understand
key steps in the building process and the decisions you’ll make, in partnership
with the builder,
to bring your new home to life.
Questions to ask your new home builder:
- How many years have you been in business? How many homes have you built?
- Are you licensed (where required) and insured?
- How do you compare yourself to other builders? What are the most important benefits of the homes you build?
- What type of new home warranty do you offer?
- Can you give me references from prior home buyers? Do you build model homes I can tour? If not, can you help me make an appointment to see a home you built for another customer?
- What are the major energy-saving features of homes you build?
- Do you build only from home plans you supply? Or can I provide my own set of plans?
- What standard features do your homes include? What options and upgrades can I select?
- Who will oversee the construction of my home? Who should I contact with any questions I may have?
- How and when can I make changes or upgrades before and during construction?
- How and when will the final price for my home be determined?
- How often (and when) will I have access to the home during the building process?
- How long will it take to build me new home?
- Does the community have a homeowners association (HOA) and/or an Architectural Review Committee? If so, may I get a copy of their rules and the amount of any fees?
- What’s your inspection process at key points of construction, at final walk-through, and to address any matters that need to be corrected or finalized?
There may be other important questions you’d ask a
home builder, so feel free to add them in the comments below. However, experts
agree the list above is a great starting point to select the firm to build your
Ready to select a builder? Start your new home search here today!